I’ve been trying to make yogurt lately, but all I’ve ended up with is failed yogurt! Okay, in all honesty, the first batch didn’t exactly fail. It just ended up really runny.
I don’t have a yogurt maker and had read of several different ways to make yogurt, even without a maker. So armed with this knowledge, I got it ready and wrapped my jars of milk/yogurt in a heating pad and wrapped a towel around it. This was supposed to be a thick Greek yogurt and needed to culture for 24 hours. Next day I went to get it out of the heating pad and put it in the fridge, to my surprise it was cold. No heat at all.
Come to find out, the heating pad shuts off after 2 hours. So, my yogurt cultured, but it was a bit thin and runny.
The next try involved the cooler method. Putting the jars into a cooler with warm water and sealing the cooler for 12 hours. Well apparently my water was too hot and it killed the culture. Leaving me with thick (sour?) milk. It didn’t taste good at all, so I set about to find other ways to use it.
Back story over now; here are 13 ways to use failed yogurt:
- Start baking. Runny yogurt can be used in place of:
- I found this recipe and we loved it: Egg Custard Pudding.
- Definitely try using it as the moisture in your bread! (I’m working on a yogurt bread recipe right now)
- Make frozen yogurt! (be sure to add a bit of fruit and honey so the kiddo’s will love it)
- Make smoothies.
- Add it to your scrambled eggs, omelets and quiche.
- Speaking of breakfast: think awesome pancakes and waffles!
- If you soak grains, use really runny yogurt instead of water.
- Kids love yogurt drinks.
- Add a bit of honey and vanilla extract.
- Give small amounts of it to your pets. (our rats LOVED it!)
- Soak your hands (or feet) in a small bowl of it for wonderful, soft feeling skin.
- Wash your face with it.
My failed yogurt and my runny yogurt is all used up now. But the question is: Do I really want the next batch to turn out? I mean there are only so many things you can do with yogurt, but there seems to be lots of uses for the failed runny kind!!!