Have you ever used crafts to teach your children about God? That is exactly what Mary Kate from Christianity Cove does. With games and crafts you can teach your children bible lessons that they will remember!
Today she is here sharing a Light of the World Paper Lanterns craft. It is cute, fun and easy to do!
Light of the World Paper Lanterns Craft:
- – Construction paper or patterned Scrapbooking Paper – 1 sheet for each child
- – Yellow and orange construction paper, several sheets
- – Stapler
- – Scotch tape
- – Glitter glue, stick on gems, decorative stickers
- – Ruler
Light of the World ~Matthew 5:14‐16
“You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
With the construction paper/scrapbooking paper sheets, use a ruler to measure off an inch from one of the short sides on each sheet. Mark with a pen. (This piece will be cut off to make the handle and bottom.)
Cut the yellow and orange construction paper into small rectangles, 4”x2”.
1. Cut along the line you drew so that you have an inch-wide strip of paper.
2. Cut the strip into 2 pieces, one longer than the other. One will be about 3 inches long, and one will be about 5½ inches long.
3. Fold the rest of the paper in half width-wise.
4. Using a pen and ruler, draw another line across the side opposite the fold, about an inch from the border.
5. Using scissors, cut slats straight from the side with the fold up to the line just penned in. Make slats about 1¼ inches apart.
6. Open the paper.
7. Write across the top above the slats: YOU ARE THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD.
8. Write across the bottom below the slats MATTHEW 5:14.
9. Roll the paper around so that the top ends meet together and the bottom meets together. Staple the top, then the bottom. Push up on the bottom slightly so that the slats come apart, and it looks like a lantern.
10. Embellish your lantern with gem stones, stickers, glitter, etc.
To make a flame to put inside, follow these steps: (optional)
11. Put 1 yellow and1 orange rectangle of the construction paper together, one on top of the other.
12. Put your index finger and middle finger side by side and lay it on top of the rectangle, and trace around it with the pen. It will give the shape of a flame.
13.Cut out both pieces.
14.Take the short strip cut from the lantern construction paper and lie it flat on the table. Take the flame pieces and fold the bottoms so that one folds to the left and one folds to the right. Attach these with tape or stick glue to the short brown lantern. That is the base of the lantern.
To fit the flame inside the lantern:
15. Scotch tape the base to the bottom of the lantern.
16. Take the long strip cut from the brown construction paper and stable it to the top of the lantern in the shape of a handle.
Mary-Kate is a regular blogger at Christianity Cove . You can often find her writing about Christian Parenting, Homeschool Teaching, Bible Study and Sunday School Activities, Faith and inspiring children to love God. Follow her at @SundaySchoolGal Facebook Google+ & Pinterest