I’m always looking for save money tips and ways to put just a bit more into savings. Pinterest is a great place to find DIY ideas, and You Tube is a great place to find tutorials for some of the bigger things.
No matter where you start, there are ways to save money in every aspect of life. Now I’m not a total tightwad; but by saving money in areas where I don’t have to spend it, I allow myself funds for fun things we like to do!
Save Money tips for Utilities:
- Unplug if not in use. Make this thing easy by plugging hair dryer, straightener, curler, razor and stuff like that into a power strip to easy unplug all at once when you are done.
- Use energy-saving bulbs, and turn out lights not in use.
- Wear sweaters around the house in the winter (our thermostat is 68 or lower).
- In the summer, keep your sun facing windows covered while the sun is over them to help keep the temps down, and set the thermostat on 72 or higher.
- Think ahead and thaw foods on the counter instead of in hot water or microwave/convection oven.
- Is your home phone a necessity?
- Is the smart phone with 2 year plan a necessity? (We changed plans and saved over $50 a month)
- Dry laundry on a line if you have one.
Save Money tips on Groceries:
- Stock up on sales.
- Buy your meat directly from a farmer if you can.
- Meal Plan.
- Plan your meals around what you already have and use this week’s sales, for next weeks meals.
- Buy in bulk.
- Use coupons and sign up for birthday deals at your favorite restaurants.
- Make your own bread crumbs.
- Can during the summer months when produce is cheap.
- When fruits are in season, buy extras and freeze, like my frozen strawberries.
- DO NOT shop hungry!
- Our Goals for 2014
- Track your spending. (We found a $30 monthly savings in groceries doing this.
Save money tips for around the house:
- Use comic papers for wrapping paper.
- Make instead of buying decor. Like this DIY large photo canvas, or board mounted photo.
- Check garage sales and Craigslist for household items.
- If your sink plugs or something stops working right, try searching for the solution on Youtube. I was able to find a video that showed me how to replace the pump in my washing machine. Word of caution though: when it comes to wiring, call someone with experience and as always with anything, use common sense.
- Pinterest can offer a great many ideas for inexpensive home decor and more.
- Use cloth diapers and wipes.
Save Money Tips for the Kitchen:
- Make your own cleaners when you can, like Stainless Steel Polish & Glass Stove Top cleaner.
- Flannel cloths instead of paper towels.
- Pack lunches.
- Make your own coffee.
- Don’t buy water bottles, buy a filter pitcher and reusable bottle instead.
Americans Save Money Tips:
- Recycle whatever you possibly can in your area.
- Tips to save gas money at the pump.
- Walk when you can, or take a bike.
- Ride share.
- Garden in your back yard, or look for a community garden to join.
Save Money Tips for Shopping
- Buy discounted gift cards at Cardpool.
- Get cash back from shopping through ebates.
- Use the two above services together for killer deals.
This one doesn’t fall into any one category, but here it is: invest in good, quality items. If you are buying a mixer, consider one that will do multiple things like a Bosch which can be used for chopper, blender, saucer, meat grinder and more. A dehydrator, that can be used for making yogurt and raising bread like my Excalibur. And well, you get the point, if you are going to buy something big, make it worth it!
For more reading:
- 5 Ways to Save money on Vacation
- 5 Easy ways to Save Money
- Cheap doesn’t have to mean Second Hand
- 9 Ways to Waste Less
What kind of save money tips would you add?