Choosing a word for the year isn’t something I’ve ever done. And choosing a negative word of the year? Well that just sounds crazy!
But I’ve done both. I’ve given it some thought and decided that I did want to choose a word for the year, but the word I came up with is a far cry from my normal positive thought process.
I thought about choosing Joy. We all need joy in our lives. Other words under consideration were contentment, peace, and cherish.
But as I considered each word and what I needed in my life to accomplish each word, I realized something. There is one simple little word that would cover each of the 4 I was considering.
My word for 2016 is NO.
How can no, a negative word, help me achieve the positive Joy, Contentment, Peace and Cherish that I’m dreaming of?
By nature I am a positive thinker. I like to be positive and say yes a lot. But there are times and things that I need to say no to.
I need to say no to:
- mommy guilt
- a desire for perfection
- the idea that I should take part in everything going on
- expecting myself to do everything I did before we had kids
- thinking I can still do it all
- comparing my life with others
- focusing so hard on the future and dreams that I forget the now
- setting daily goals so huge I cannot obtain them
- always feeling like I have to do it all
- depending on self, and start leaning more on God
- wanting to be the best
- allowing people to direct my life
- negativity from others
- caring what others think of me
No is a negative word yes, but sometimes saying no brings about positive results. By saying no, I can push away negativity, and bring the positive that I desire.
Saying yes all the time results in burnout, stress, self-condemnation and much more.
This year my word is no, and as a result I will be able to cherish my family more, take joy in the little things, find contentment by simply being with my family and be at peace with who I am, and who I am becoming.