I started back to work last week and in line with my goal to keep eating healthy all the time, I thought I would share my ideas for healthy lunches for work.
Many times I can just grab leftovers and heat them up at work. Since I’m a nanny I often take advantage of the kitchen and use a skillet to heat my foods instead of the microwave. We don’t have a microwave at home and I don’t feel that it’s the best thing to use. However, in a pinch I do use it and don’t feel guilty. After all I could be eating fast food. 🙂
Healthy Lunches for Work:
- Raw peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat bread.
- Cold meat sandwiches. Here are a bunch of healthy substitutes for the nitrate laden meats you find at the deli.
- Dinner leftovers if you have a way to warm them.
- Sliced cheese on multi-grain crackers.
- Salads. We keep our salad bar box stocked for lunches.
- Egg salad sandwich.
- In the wintertime soups are amazing. I make soup for dinner and in the morning Jason will heat up the leftovers and pour it into his thermos.
- Fruits: fresh and dried
- Peanut butter bars
- Cheese sticks
- Fruit or nut muffins
- Chips and salsa
This is by no means an exhaustive list. The ideas above are just starters, and packing healthy lunches for work isn’t all that hard once you get a few ideas. 🙂
I don’t recommend microwave meals, or stuff like that because even the “healthy” ones often contain ingredients that really aren’t healthy.
Most days we are able to take lunches that are good and nutritious, but once in awhile our lunch doesn’t fall into any category of healthy. The reason I said that is just to assure you that if you cannot eat a healthy lunch everyday, it’s not the end of the world, I promise. 🙂