***Updated October 10th 2016***
Amazon no longer permits sellers to send free products in exchange for a review. So I’ve removed all the Amazon review information from this post.
However, brands and companies offer free and discounted product in exchange for you sharing information about the product on your social media sites! Since Amazon changed their policies I’ve removed all that information from this post and am instead giving you information on reviewing products OUTSIDE of Amazon.
While blogging was instrumental in becoming a reviewer, I rarely post reviews on my blog. If you aren’t a blogger, you can still be a product reviewer!
First of all, a Few Questions:
- Do you like to try new and different products?
- Do you have an active Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram account?
- Do you enjoy leaving reviews (good or bad) that help other customers?
- Do you often share different products with your friends?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, then keep reading because I’m going to share just how to become a product reviewer!
How to Become a Product Reviewer (without being a blogger)
Reviews For Social Media Influencers
If you consider yourself an influencer on social media, check out the following sites.
Klout. Sign up and connect your social media accounts. Klout then sees your follows, likes, shares and comments and measures your “Klout”. I do very little with this site and every couple of months or so I receive an email saying I’ve been “perked”.
I can claim the perk and share my thoughts on Twitter or I can ignore the perk if I don’t want it.
BzzAgent. Create an account, link your social media accounts and set up/connect your MyPoints account. While you can earn MyPoints doing all sorts of things all over the web, I only earn points by filling out BzzAgent surveys and when I get a BzzCampaign I earn more points by bzzzing and sharing.
BzzAgent is very user-friendly and I would recommend starting with this site.
Tomoson is a nice place to find paid reviews for blogs and youtube, as well as getting lots of discounted products in exchange for social media shares!
Sign up, fill out ALL of your profile, connect your social media channels and start applying. When looking for products to review, make sure you tick the little box that says “only show me promotions I qualify for”. It definitely makes things simpler.
I don’t do many paid blog reviews through Tomoson, but here are a few that have paid well and I really loved the product.
What Makes a Good Review?
- Proper spelling and grammar. I cannot stress this enough as you want brands to see you as professional.
- Diplomacy. If you honestly dislike a product, don’t be rude and bash it. Be honest but kind, and share why you were disappointed.
- Be Helpful. Try to answer questions you may have had about the product, or share a trick you learned when you used the product.
- Photos and Videos. Videos in some cases they are very good to have, if you have a YouTube account, all the better!. Take clear photos of you using the product or product features that you like or dislike.
- Contact the Company. If you end up with a product that you cannot in good conscience leave a 3 star or higher review reach out to the brand first and see if they can fix it. Then once you write your review you will also be able to state how the company handled the issue. Very very helpful info for other buyers.
- Disclose! Per FTC (Federal Trade Commission) you must tell others if you received a discount or got the item free in exchange for a review. Honesty is the best policy always.
Psst!!! If you enjoyed How To Become a Product Reviewer, you may also like my post on how to use Ebates and earn cash back on your online purchases.