If you spend any amount of time in your kitchen, it is likely you will agree with me when I say a good knife makes everything just a little bit easier.
I’ve used steel knives my entire life, mostly cheep things that are always needing sharpened; but Jason did buy me a very nice chef’s knife for my birthday a few years ago. It stands to reason then, that I knew very little about ceramic knives.
Dalstrong graciously sent me their 8″ infinity blade ceramic knife to review and since I knew very little about them, I started researching the proper use and care of ceramic knives. It is important to me that I use my knives properly and take good care of them so they last.
Proper Use and Care of Ceramic Knives:
- Hard surfaces like glass, tile, and granite, are all hard on the blade; stick to wood or plastic cutting boards.
- Never place ceramic (or steel) knives in the dishwasher. The blades will vibrate against stuff and quickly dull.
- Never drop into your sink as it can cause damage to the blade.
- Hand-wash and wipe dry before placing knife inside its sheath for storage.
- Never toss into a drawer for storage without a sheath.
- A wooden or bamboo block is also acceptable for storing knives.
- Never try cutting through bones, nuts or frozen fruits.
- Never use steel or a stone to sharpen ceramic. Use only diamond dust sharpeners intended for ceramic.
My take-away? The proper use and care of ceramic knives is nearly the same as steel knives.
So why do I now prefer my Dalstrong ceramic knife over the steel?
- Unlike steel, ceramic does not rust.
- Made from Zirconium oxide, the blade reaches near diamond hardness and holds a sharp edge up to 15x longer than steel!
- The blade is boasted to be 2x sharper than steel.
- Germ resistant, nonporous blackened ceramic blade, with a stunning mirror finish.
- A soft, perfectly formed handle, with the light-weight ceramic blade makes cutting very easy on the hand and wrist.
I know I was being sent a knife to try and review, but quite frankly I was blown away from the moment I opened the package.
Clearly, this is gift material right here:
The first thing I saw was a very nice, sturdy box, clearly marked as a Dalstrong knife. When I opened the box? Wow!
The set contains the 8″ infinity blade, ceramic knife, case, diamond dust sharpener, the knife rest to maintain best angle and edge for sharpening, and a microfiber cloth for wiping down the blade.
The diamond dust sharpener is dual sided: #600 for repair of minor nicks, and regular sharpening. And #1000 for honing that edge to precision quality.
This is a stunning knife that any cook – professional, or hobbiest – would be thrilled to have in their kitchen. I definitely am. In fact, would you believe it spends more time on my drying towel than in the drawer? I use it nearly every night while making dinner.
As already mentioned; I never place my knives in the dishwasher. A simple rinse and wipe with a towel is what it needs.
The Dalstrong ceramic, 8″ infinity blade is currently available for purchase on Amazon only.
For some chopping fun, check out my video below. 🙂